Kemi Adeosun Biography
Kemi Adeosun Bio
|Kemi Adeosun was born on 9th March 1967. She is the former Finance Minister of Nigeria and former chairman of the board of African Export-Import Bank (AfreximBank). On 14 September 2018 Kemi Adeosun resigned as Minister of Finance due to the NYSC Certificate forgery scandal.|
Kemi Adeosun Personal details
|Kemi Adeosun Born||9 March 1967
|Kemi Adeosun Age||51 years old as of 2018|
|Kemi Adeosun Husband||Niyi Adeosun (m. 1997-to date)|
|Kemi Adeosun Children||3 Children|
|Kemi Adeosun Nationality||Nigerian|
|Kemi Adeosun Education||University of East London|
|Kemi Adeosun Profession||Chartered Accountant|
|Minister of Finance|
11 November 2015 – 14 September 2018
|Preceded by||Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala|
Kemi Adeosun Early life and education
Kemi was born in London, England to Nigerian parents from Ogun State. She went to the University of East London earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics. She later did a Postgraduate Diploma in Public Financial Management from the University of London. She qualified as a Chartered Accountant with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales in 1994.
Kemi Adeosun Career Highlights
- 1989-1990 – Commenced her career as an accounting assistant at British Telecom, London.
- 1990-1993- Moved to Goodman Jones, London, working as a Senior audit officer.
- 1994-2000 – Manager of Internal Audit at London Underground, London and Prism Consulting.
- 2000-2002 – PricewaterhouseCoopers, London as Senior Manager.
- In 2002, Kemi became financial controller at Chapel Hill Denham Management and subsequently, Managing Director in 2010.
- 2010-2011 – Worked with Quo Vadis Partnership as Managing Director, she was appointed Ogun State’s Commissioner of Finance 2011. Kemi maintained this role from 2011 to 2015.
- In November 2015 – September 2018 – Minister of Finance by President Muhammadu Buhari. During the annual general meeting of Afreximbank in Abuja to commemorate its 25th anniversary, Adeosun was elected chairman of the board of the bank. Kemi succeeded the outgoing chairman Ndagijimana Uzziel, Minister of Finance of the Republic of Rwanda.
Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal
On 7 July 2018 Nigerian online newspaper Premium Times alleged that Adeosun had illegally obtained her NYSC exemption certificate to get into public office. On 9 July, NYSC Director of Press and Public relations, Adeyemi Adenike released a statement that confirmed that Adeosun legitimately submitted a request for an exemption certificate, but also stated that investigations were still ongoing to verify the approval of the exemption certificate.
Kemi Adeosun Resignation
On 14 September 2018 Kemi Adeosun resigned as Minister of Finance due to the NYSC Certificate forgery scandal.
Kemi Adeosun resigning is not what the law dictates. There will be “no sacred cows” when she’s arrested and prosecuted for the alleged forgery of NYSC Certificate. That is the law. Until then, this is just another episode of epic nollywood series. https://t.co/YRRPE9CT9V
— Abdulaziz Bakare (@Backarray) September 14, 2018
Kemi Adeosun's alleged sins shouldn't magically be washed away cos she resigned. In normal climes, her resignation would have come sooner and she will be in court trying to prove her innocence. But this is Nigeria and it ends here.
— Mutiny ⚓⚓⚓🇨🇦🇳🇬 (@suleolayemi8961) September 14, 2018
Kemi Adeosun Political Association
After officially being non-partisan throughout her career, Kemi Adeosun joined Nigeria’s ruling party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) on 5 May 2018.
Kemi Adeosun Husband
Niyi Adeosun and Kemi Adeosun got married in the 1980s in London. Kemi’s Husband is a Businessman and consultant. The couple has 3 children.